When I was in college, I had a roommate who used to eat cereal for dessert. I thought that was a little strange the first time I saw her enjoying a bowl of Fruity Pebbles after dinner and asked why she chose that for dessert. Her reply always stuck with me – “Because as far as cereals go, it’s not the best breakfast option. BUT as far as desserts go, it’s a healthier choice than cake!” This changed the way I thought about dessert! Sometimes there are food items that are note exactly the healthiest option for breakfast when you’re trying to lose weight. However, they make fabulously healthy desserts!
So today I want to share a recipe from a blog I recently found on Pinterest, called Sweet Tooth Sweet Life. Courtney is a fabulous 28-year old married woman who blogs about food, fitness, and fashion. I’m loving her blog so much that I wanted to share a recipe she posted last week for strawberry cream cheese filled muffins. They look absolutely delicious and I cannot wait to go out and get all of the ingredients I need to make them ASAP! I’ve been sticking to a lower carb diet lately though, so these probably wouldn’t replace my veggie egg scramble or cottage cheese breakfasts, but I DO think they’ll make a fabulous healthy dessert when I feeling like I need something sweet! And as far as muffins go, I definitely think these are MUCH healthier than the ones you’ll find in the grocery store, so have them for breakfast too if you want! Oh and be sure you check out Courtney’s blog to see the original recipe and so many more
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 14-17 minutes
- Yield: 12 muffins
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour (She uses Bob’s Red Mill)
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup wheat germ
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup strawberries, chopped
- 1 banana, mashed
- 1/2 cup buttermilk*
- 1/2 cup strawberry Greek yogurt (She uses Chobani)
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
Strawberry Cream Cheese Filling Ingredients:
- 5 wedges of The Laughing Cow Strawberries & Cream Cream Cheese Spread**
- 1 egg white
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
*If you don’t have actual buttermilk on hand, combine 1/2 tbsp lemon juice with 1/2 cup milk and allow to sit for 5 minutes.
**You can also substitute 4 oz. of light strawberry and/or plain cream cheese for the Laughing Cow wedges.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Prepare a 12-cup muffin pan with paper liners or spray with non-stick cooking spray (you can also spray the liners lightly).
- In a small bowl, combine cream cheese wedges, egg white, and vanilla and mix well. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, stir together the first 9 muffin ingredients. Gently stir in strawberries. In a separate bowl, mix together the remaining 6 wet ingredients. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry, stirring just until combined. *Do NOT over mix!*
- Spoon into muffin cups, filling half way to the top. Add about 2 teaspoons of cream cheese filling to each muffin. Top with remaining muffin batter.
- Bake for 14-17 minutes, or until the tops of the muffins spring back when lightly touched. Remove from pan and allow to cool on wire rack. ENJOY!
You can find the full recipe here at SweetToothSweetLife.com. Courtney adapted this recipe from another one of her fabulous recipes, “Wouldn’t Know They’re Healthy Blueberry Muffins“ so be sure you check that one out too!